5 Steps to Take Before Divorce
Melbourne Family Law Attorney's 5 Steps To Take Before Divorce
1. Gather financial documents: Prior to filing for a dissolution of marriage, amass and duplicate all vital financial documents, including bank statements, tax returns, retirement account statements, mortgage statements, credit card statements, and any other pertinent financial data. This ensures a comprehensive understanding of your financial situation and assets, which is crucial during property division negotiations. Aim to gather information from at least the past three years.
2. Secure living arrangements: Contemplate your housing requirements during and after the dissolution of marriage process. If you intend to leave the marital home, explore rental or purchase alternatives in your preferred area.
3. Develop a budget: Formulate a budget that encompasses your present and future financial needs. This assists in determining the necessary alimony or child support and helps manage your finances during and after the dissolution of marriage process.
4. Establish a support network: The dissolution of marriage can be emotionally taxing. It is essential to have a support network in place, including friends, family, and potentially a therapist or counselor, to help you navigate the emotional aspects of the process.
5. Make a parenting plan: Children frequently bear the brunt of the dissolution of marriage. If you have children, it is crucial to begin considering a parenting plan that outlines how you and your spouse will allocate time-sharing and make decisions for your children after the dissolution. The best interest of the child is paramount, and the other spouse is entitled to time-sharing unless it would be against the children’s best interests. This plan should account for your children’s needs, your work schedules, and other relevant factors. Creating a plan beforehand can help minimize conflict during the dissolution of marriage process and facilitate a smoother transition for your children.
over 39 years of law experience
Schedule Your Free Consultation Today